Completing the Employer Report of Occupational Injury or Illness: Help APEI Help Your Employees!
APEI’s workers’ compensation claims staff work hard to accurately determine which claims are to be paid to ensure eligible claimants get the compensation and treatment they need as quickly as possible. Employers can help APEI staff by ensuring that the Employer Report of Occupational Injury or Illness (“the Report”) is thoroughly completed and submitted timely. Some of the most common missing information includes:
- Claimant contact information: Claimant phone numbers are needed so APEI staff may contact them in a timely manner. It is also helpful to include the employee’s email address.
- Clear information on the location of the injury: “Location” in this situation refers to the part of the employee’s body (hand, foot, back, head, etc.) that has been injured and which side (left or right).
- Boxes 30-37 on the Report: This includes important information about where the claimant works, their employment status, wages, and work schedule. This information is required by the State of Alaska and the claim cannot be submitted without it.
- Wage paid on date of injury: Be sure to indicate whether or not the claimant was paid for the date the injury occurred as this can impact the amount of workers’ compensation the employee may be eligible for.
- Date employer first knew of the injury/illness: This is key because if there is a gap in time from the injury date to the date the claimant reported the injury to their employer, the claim may be denied for late reporting.
You can further assist with the claims process by responding as quickly as possible to APEI claims staff inquiries, as delays in response can slow the investigation which, in turn can impact the cost of the claim.
If you are ever in need of assistance in completing a Report of Occupational Injury or Illness, please don’t hesitate to contact our Claims Manager, Jessica Garrett, or Claims Examiner, Buffy Blais. Both are always willing to answer employer’s questions regarding the workers’ compensation process!
Jessica Garrett: firstname.lastname@example.org, 907-523-9453
Buffy Blais: email@example.com, 907-523-9450